This vegetable pulao recipe south Indian style, is a lip-smacking spicy rice dish.
They are prepared by cooking rice with several spices, vegetables, and herbs that give it a mild aromatic taste.
This recipe is fluffy and light, deliciously tasty, and never sticky, plus it is super easy to prepare.
Vegetable Pulao Recipe South Indian Style
- ½ cup basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup of water
- 1 medium finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup green peas
- ¼ cup carrot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons French beans, finely chopped
- 1 small finely chopped tomato
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1-inch piece of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 small piece of Bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Rinse rice and soak in water for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and set aside until required.
- Heat oil and ghee together in a pressure cooker on low heat. Add cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add onion and fry it for 2 minutes until light brown.
- Stir in green peas, chopped tomatoes, carrot, and French beans, and stir-fry them for about 2 minutes.
- Add drained rice, red chili, turmeric powder, garam masala, salt, and cook indian vegetable rice for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and combine well.
- Cover with cooker lid and cook over medium heat for 2 whistles. Reduce the heat to low, when the first whistle is completed, and cook until the second whistle. Remove the cooker from the stove.
- Let spicy vegetable rice cool at room temperature until the pressure inside the cooker reduces naturally. Open the cover carefully and ruffle the mix vegetable pulao with a spoon.
- Transfer vegetable pulao recipe south indian style to a serving dish or bowl, garnish with coriander leaves and serve with raita.