Oven baked chicken nuggets without bread crumbs—a healthy lunch and dinner dish, this recipe is ready in 30 minutes without frying!
Both kids and adults will love these gluten-free, paleo, and keto chicken nuggets without flour. The chicken nuggets no breadcrumbs are crispy and mouth-watering, and you can effortlessly make them ahead and freeze them.
How To Make Chicken Nuggets Without Breadcrumbs?
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 large egg
- 3 chicken breasts cut into chunks/nuggets
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 420º F.
- Take a medium-sized bowl and mix the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and tapioca starch in it.
- Take another medium-sized bowl and whisk the egg in it.
- Put all the homemade chicken nuggets without bread crumbs into the container with the egg. Pull them out one at a time and drop them in the bowl with garlic powder and starch.
- Make sure all the chicken pieces are wholly covered and then place them into the baking dish.
- Use one hand to pull the nuggets out of the egg and the other for covering them in the dry mixture.
- Drizzle oil on them and put the baking dish in the oven. Baked chicken nuggets no breading for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- When cooked, the oven baked chicken nuggets without bread crumbs should be golden brown and crisp. Bring chicken nuggets without egg out of the oven and let them cool for some time before serving.
How Long To Bake Chicken Nuggets Without Bread Crumbs?
The key to achieving the perfect baked chicken nugget lies in the baking time. Follow these guidelines for a golden, crispy exterior and tender interior:
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) for a good balance of crispiness and tenderness.
- Coat with Alternatives: Instead of traditional breadcrumbs, try coatings like crushed cornflakes, almond flour, or grated Parmesan for a flavorful twist.
- Bake Until Golden: Place the nuggets on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, turning halfway through. The nuggets are ready when they reach a golden brown color and an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Health Benefits Of Baked Chicken Nuggets Without Bread Crumbs
Let’s talk health. Removing breadcrumbs doesn’t just change the texture; it can also be a smart move for your well-being.
Breadless chicken nuggets are lower in carbs, making them a friendly option for those watching their carb intake.
The focus is on the juicy, tender chicken, allowing you to savor the natural flavors without unnecessary additives. Plus, you’ll still get that satisfying crunch without the guilt.
What To Serve With Homemade Chicken Nuggets No Breadcrumbs?
Chicken nuggets are versatile, and your choice of side can elevate the entire meal. Here are some delightful pairings:
- Sweet Potato Chips: The sweetness of the sweet potato chips complements the savory nuggets perfectly.
- Homemade Coleslaw: A crunchy coleslaw adds a refreshing contrast to the crispy nuggets.
- Avocado Dipping Sauce: Mash some avocado, add a dash of lime, and voila – a creamy and tangy dip.
- Quinoa Salad: For a healthier option, a quinoa salad with fresh veggies brings a burst of flavors.
- Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Fries: Zucchini fries provide a nutritious alternative with a cheesy kick.
Recipe Variations And Substitutions
The beauty of chicken nuggets lies in their adaptability. Here are some variations and substitutions to explore:
- Almond Flour Coating: Swap breadcrumbs for almond flour for a nutty and gluten-free alternative.
- Spicy Kick: Add cayenne pepper or paprika to your coating mix for a spicy twist.
- Herb-infused Crust: Mix chopped herbs like thyme, rosemary, and parsley into your coating for a fragrant experience.
- Panko Crunch: If you’re open to a different kind of crunch, try using panko breadcrumbs for a light and airy coating.
- Add Cheese: Incorporate grated Parmesan or cheddar into your coating for a cheesy indulgence.
How To Store Leftover Baked Chicken Nuggets?
One of the perks of making a batch of chicken nuggets no breading is the convenience of storing leftovers.
Follow these simple steps to keep your nuggets fresh and ready for a quick snack or meal:
- Cool Completely: Before storing, allow the baked chicken nuggets to cool completely. This helps to prevent condensation inside the storage container, which can make them soggy.
- Use Airtight Containers: Opt for airtight containers to seal in the freshness. This not only maintains the nuggets’ texture but also prevents them from absorbing odors from the fridge.
- Layer with Parchment Paper: To prevent the nuggets from sticking together, place a sheet of parchment paper between layers. This ensures that each nugget retains its individual crunch.
- Refrigerate Promptly: Place the airtight container in the refrigerator promptly after cooking. Ground chicken nuggets no breading can be stored for up to 3-4 days without compromising their quality.
- Freeze for Extended Storage: If you want to store them for a more extended period, consider freezing. Place the nuggets in a single layer on a baking sheet until frozen, then transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag. This method keeps them fresh for up to two months.
How To Freeze Chicken Nuggets No Breadcrumbs?
Freezing your nuggets can be a game-changer, especially for those busy nights when cooking seems like an impossible task.
To freeze your homemade chicken nuggets without bread crumbs, follow these simple steps:
- Cool Them Down: Allow your nuggets to cool to room temperature before freezing. This prevents ice crystals from forming, preserving the flavor and texture.
- Single Layer Freezing: Place the nuggets in a single layer on a baking sheet. This prevents them from sticking together, making it easier to grab a handful whenever a nugget craving hits.
- Wrap and Seal: Once frozen, individually wrap each nugget in plastic wrap or place them in a freezer bag. Make sure to remove as much air as possible to avoid freezer burn.
- Labeling: Don’t forget to label your packaging with the freezing date. This ensures you keep track of freshness and can avoid any forgotten treasures in the depths of your freezer.
- Reheating: When you’re ready to enjoy your frozen chicken nuggets without breading, bake them in the oven at 375°F until they’re heated through and delightfully crispy.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Else Can You Use As Breading For Chicken?
When ditching breadcrumbs, get creative! Opt for crushed cornflakes, panko, or even shredded coconut for a unique texture and taste. These alternatives not only add a delightful crunch but also bring a new dimension to your non breaded chicken nuggets.
2. What Does Breadcrumbs Do To Chicken?
Breadcrumbs are commonly used to provide a crispy outer layer to chicken, adding texture and enhancing the overall eating experience. However, if you’re looking to cut down on carbs or try something new, there are fantastic alternatives that achieve the same crispy result.
3. Can You Use Flour Instead Of Breadcrumbs For Chicken?
Absolutely! Flour is an excellent substitute. Dip your chicken pieces in seasoned flour for a simple yet effective breading. The flour creates a light, golden crust when baked, ensuring your chicken nuggets are both flavorful and satisfying.
4. What Can I Use Instead Of Breadcrumbs For Oven-Baked Chicken?
For an oven-baked twist, consider crushed nuts like almonds or pecans. The natural oils in nuts contribute to a golden brown crust, and the nutty flavor complements the chicken beautifully. Experiment with different nut varieties to find your perfect match.
5. What Can I Use If I Don’t Have Breadcrumbs?
Fear not! If you find yourself out of breadcrumbs, look to your pantry for alternatives. Rolled oats, crushed crackers, or even grated Parmesan cheese can serve as excellent substitutes, each imparting a distinct flavor to your unbreaded chicken nuggets.
6. What Is A Healthy Substitute For Breadcrumbs?
Opting for a healthier alternative? Quinoa flakes or ground flaxseeds are fantastic choices. These alternatives not only provide a wholesome crunch but also pack in additional nutrients, making your no fry chicken nuggets a guilt-free pleasure.
7. Are Baked Chicken Nuggets Healthy?
Yes, baked chicken nuggets without bread crumbs can be a healthy option, especially when compared to fried alternatives. Baking reduces the amount of added fats, making them a lighter and more nutritious choice.