Are you a tasty Vietnamese sandwich lover and you are looking for a simple and traditional banh mi recipe? Today, I have brought a banh mi sandwich recipe that is even better than the restaurants.
I use pickled vegetables and chicken breast for making this incredibly colorful and appetizing traditional bánh mì recipe. So, without any further delay, let’s get started.
Traditional Banh Mi Recipe
- 1 boneless chicken breast half
- ½ cup of rice vinegar
- ¼ cup thinly sliced white onion
- ¼ cup white radish, cut into 1/16-inch-thick lengthwise
- ¼ cup carrot, cut into 1/16-inch-thick lengthwise
- 1 small jalapeno pepper – seeded and cut into 1/16-inch-thick lengthwise
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup thinly sliced cucumber
- Garlic salt to taste
- French baguette
- ¼ cup white sugar
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 wedge lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
- In a saucepan add sugar, water, and rice vinegar over medium heat, boil it and stir for about 1 minute until the sugar has dissolved. Let the mixture cool.
- Take radish, carrot, and onion in a bowl; pour the cooled vinegar mixture over them and let them stand for at least 30 minutes. When vegetables have been marinated, drain off the excess vinegar mixture.
- Preheat the oven’s broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source while the vegetables are marinating. Grease a slotted broiler pan slightly.
- Sprinkle pepper, salt, and garlic on the chicken breast and broil on slotted broiler pan. Cook each side for about 6 minutes until the top of the chicken breast is browned and the center is no longer pink. Remove the chicken and slice into small pieces.
- Cut the baguette in half lengthwise, remove the center of the bread, and leave a hole for the filling. Lightly toast the baguette halves in the broiler for 2-3 minutes.
Assembling Of Vietnamese Sandwich
- Spread mayonnaise on each half of the toasted baguette and fill the hole of the bottom bread with a generous amount of the pickled veggies, broiled chicken, jalapeno pepper, cilantro leaves, and cucumber slices. Squeeze a quarter-inch lime over the filling, and place the other half of the toasted baguette.
More Healthy Recipes