Are you a tasty Vietnamese sandwich lover and you are looking for a simple and traditional banh mi recipe? Today, I have brought a banh mi sandwich recipe that is even better than the restaurants.
I use pickled vegetables and chicken breast for making this incredibly colorful and appetizing traditional bánh mì recipe. So, without any further delay, let’s get started.
Table of Contents
Traditional Banh Mi Recipe
- 1 boneless chicken breast half
- ½ cup of rice vinegar
- ¼ cup thinly sliced white onion
- ¼ cup white radish, cut into 1/16-inch-thick lengthwise
- ¼ cup carrot, cut into 1/16-inch-thick lengthwise
- 1 small jalapeno pepper – seeded and cut into 1/16-inch-thick lengthwise
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup thinly sliced cucumber
- Garlic salt to taste
- French baguette
- ¼ cup white sugar
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 wedge lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
- In a saucepan add sugar, water, and rice vinegar over medium heat, boil it and stir for about 1 minute until the sugar has dissolved. Let the mixture cool.
- Take radish, carrot, and onion in a bowl; pour the cooled vinegar mixture over them and let them stand for at least 30 minutes. When vegetables have been marinated, drain off the excess vinegar mixture.
- Preheat the oven’s broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source while the vegetables are marinating. Grease a slotted broiler pan slightly.
- Sprinkle pepper, salt, and garlic on the chicken breast and broil on slotted broiler pan. Cook each side for about 6 minutes until the top of the chicken breast is browned and the center is no longer pink. Remove the chicken and slice into small pieces.
- Cut the baguette in half lengthwise, remove the center of the bread, and leave a hole for the filling. Lightly toast the baguette halves in the broiler for 2-3 minutes.
Assembling Of Vietnamese Sandwich
- Spread mayonnaise on each half of the toasted baguette and fill the hole of the bottom bread with a generous amount of the pickled veggies, broiled chicken, jalapeno pepper, cilantro leaves, and cucumber slices. Squeeze a quarter-inch lime over the filling, and place the other half of the toasted baguette.
More Healthy Recipes