It’s a fact that we can’t imagine living our day-to-day lives without electricity.
With the fridge functioning, preserving food in hot weather is easier.
However, sometimes you don’t have access to electricity or other power sources; you might fret about how to keep food cold without a fridge.
Whether your fridge is broken or your power is out, there are numerous methods to keep food cold without a fridge.
How To Keep Food Cold Without A Fridge?
Use these methods to keep your food cold when your fridge is not functioning.
1. Store Food In The Cooler Areas Of Your Residence
The easiest fashion to keep your food and drinks cool is to find cooler areas in your residence.
For example, if you have a basement in your house, it will be cooler than the home’s second story.
You can also utilize a well or find a cave in your house.
Just remember to put your food in air-tight containers so that critters don’t consume all your food.
2. Use Solar Oven
The next way of how to keep food cold when fridge is broken is to use solar ovens.
Most people use solar ovens to warm their food when electricity is absent.
However, very few folks know that solar ovens can also be utilized to keep the food cool and make ice at night.
First, put a container in the oven with two bags around it filled with water.
Place the water into the container; the outcome will be ice or cold water that you can use during the day to keep your food cool.
Otherwise, you can place the food directly into the container to keep it cool during the night.
3. Reconsider Your Food Storage
Most people go to the grocery shop and purchase adequate food for a month.
Then, they add all the food to the fridge. Then, over the month, they add some leftovers to the refrigerator and let them sit there for several days.
You need to change this thinking line when you cannot use your fridge.
Most fresh produce doesn’t need to be frozen. Also, it is better not to buy perishable foods in bulk.
It’s one of the most effective ways of how to keep food cold without electricity.
How To Keep Veggies And Fruits Cool Without A Fridge?
- Store veggies with their stems and put them in a pot of water for at least two days.
- Wrap herbs in a wet rag and put them in an airtight jar.
- Store cabbage, cucumber, eggplant, and avocado on the counter for 3 to 4 days.
- You can dehydrate veggies and fruits and store them in glass containers in your storeroom.
- Don’t wash the greens before storing. It’s better to keep them dry.
- Keep dates, pears, tomatoes, melons, peppers, etc., on the counter for two weeks.
- Store garlic, apples, and potatoes in a cool dark area for 30 days.
- If the carrots become rubbery, peel and soak them in water to make them crisp again.
How To Store Dairy Without A Fridge?
- The best way of how to keep milk cold without a fridge is to drink it the day you purchase it.
- Alternatively, you can utilize it to make kefir or sour cream.
- Hard cheese and butter will last for 14 days in a cool area.
- A study on how to keep food cold without a fridge camping suggests that the yogurt can last for 6-7 days before molding.
How To Keep Meat And Eggs Cold Without A Fridge?
- The ideal way of how to keep food cold while traveling is to purchase vacuum pepperoni and salami.
- Always buy meat and eggs in smaller servings.
- Leave eggs unwashed before using them.
- Cook meat on low. Place the leftovers into the container and convert them into soup for the next day.
Knowing how to keep food cold without a fridge can preserve your food supply and wallet.
By using the methods mentioned above, you can easily keep your food fresh for a prolonged period.
So, try to use how to keep food cold in car without a cooler methods during your next camping or emergency period of a power outage.
You May Also Like To Read
- How To Eat Healthy Food Everyday
- How To Unsalt Food
- How To Stop Craving For Junk Food
- Good Family Dinner Recipes