Here is my favorite soft gingerbread cookies with icing recipe, which is easy to make, perfect for decorating, and always so tasty.
These perfectly spiced, crispy on the edges, soft in the centers, brown sugar, and molasses sweetened cookies are a must for Christmas and holidays.
I’m sharing two different types of icings that will make this best gingerbread cookies recipe more delicious.
Soft Gingerbread Cookies With Icing Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup brown sugar packed
- ⅔ cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 large egg whites (or ¼ cup water and 3 tablespoons meringue powder)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1-2 tablespoons cream or milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Whisk together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt, ginger, baking soda, and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar in a bowl for about 2 minutes until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and add vanilla extract and molasses.
- Mix in the flour mixture in the butter mixture about half at a time with the mixer on low speed and make dough.
- Divide the cookie dough into two equal sections. Form each dough into a circle, flat disc shape, and cover with plastic wrap. Allow it to cool in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When the dough is ready to bake, preheat the oven at 350°F and line 2-3 baking or cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Take out one disc of dough from the refrigerator and allow it to warm up at room temperature for 10 minutes before rolling.
- Unwrap the disc of dough and dust flour on both sides, and sprinkle flour on the rolling pin and kitchen counter. Roll out the disc to about ¼ inch thick and cut into shapes.
- Shift the gingerbread man cookies to lined cookie sheets and bake for about 8-10 minutes until the tops look set.
- Repeat the process with the rest cookie dough and make cookies.
- Take an electric mixer beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Add 3 cups of sugar and lemon juice to the bowl (also add meringue powder and water if using).
- Beat for 5 minutes, adding a little more water or sugar if needed.
- Shift to a piping bag and decorate the classic gingerbread cookies.
- Beat the butter until creamy and smooth.
- Add in the vanilla extract and then whisk in ½ cup powdered sugar at a time until the desired sweetness is achieved.
- Add in 1 tablespoon cream or milk at a time until the desired thickness is achieved; add a little more sugar if needed.
- Shift the buttercream icing to a piping bag to decorate the easy gingerbread cookies recipe or frost with a knife.
- Soft gingerbread cookies with icing recipe are ready to serve.