The easy egg yolk custard recipe is crazy quick and simple. This egg yolk custard pudding recipe can be used as a pastry, pie, or banana cream cake filling or served on its own.
You can easily cook the custard with egg yolks in a saucepan on the stove at medium-high heat so, there is no need to cook it over a double boiler.
Only a few custard ingredients are required for making this most yellow, creamy, thick, and perfectly sweet egg yolk custard recipe.
Easy Egg Yolk Custard Recipe
- 1 and 2/3 cups whole milk
- 3 and 1/2 tbsp cornstarch or corn flour
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 oz unsalted soft butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pour milk and half of the sugar in a large pot and boil. Set heat to medium flame.
- Keep the milk at low flame. Beat eggs yolks in a bowl. Take another bowl and mix cornstarch and sugar. Add egg yolks to the cornstarch and sugar mixture and stir to combine. Mix the egg yolks, cornstarch, and sugar when the milk starts to boil. Do not add them too far in advance.
- Combine 1 cup from the hot milk and mix it carefully. Now, add the mixture to the remaining warm milk and cook on low heat. Keep stirring for about 3-5 minutes with a wooden spoon or until the custard thickens.
- Turn off the flame and then, add butter. Butter will make the custard thick once it cools down. Combine the vanilla extract and mix it again, then remove it from the stove.
- Shift to a bowl and cover with a plastic wrap tightly. Cool down at room temperature.
- Keep easy egg yolk custard recipe in the refrigerator before serving.