Dal palak recipe Pakistani is one of the most soul-satisfying plant-based meals that is delicious, wholesome, and full of nutrients.
This lentils and spinach recipe is beautifully rich in color and a comforting meal to make in just 20 minutes.
Serve with naan and rice; your family will love this tasty and healthy recipe.
Dal Palak Recipe Pakistani
- 1 ½ cups red lentil or yellow split peas (or combination of both)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 big tomato cut into 6-8 wedges
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Spinach leaves about 4 cups
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups of water
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
- 2 teaspoons butter (optional)
- To make lentil and spinach curry take olive oil in a pressure cooker and cook it over medium heat. Stir in chopped onions once the oil is hot and cook until they become softer and semi-transparent.
- Put in garlic and cook for a minute until aromatic. Turn off the heat, add turmeric, cayenne, coriander, and cumin and stir well to mix.
- Add water, lentils, tomatoes, and salt and mix into the onion mixture. Cover the instant pot with lid, press the manual button, and adjust the cooking time to 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn off the warming mode by pressing the cancel button and wait for 10 minutes before opening the valve to discharge pressure.
- Remove the tomato skin and whisk together the lentils to blend, and mash the tomatoes.
- Stir in spinach with cilantro and butter if needed. Stir to mix, and the remaining heat will droop the spinach quickly.
- Top dal palak recipe Pakistani with yogurt and cilantro and serve with naan, roti, or over brown rice.