Are you surfing the internet to find an easiest and uncomplicated chocolate lava cake recipe without cocoa powder?
If yes, then look no further, because finally, you have found the simplest microwave lava cake without cocoa powder recipe.
The fudgy and rich chocolate cake without cocoa powder will melt on your plate and in your mouth.
You only need 6 ingredients and 25 minutes to make this yummiest chocolate lava cake recipe without cocoa powder. You can utilize the little ramekins or muffin pan to make it.
The chocolate cake recipe without cocoa powder is obviously a crowd pleaser and I’m sure, your family would request you to make it every weekend.
Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe Without Cocoa Powder
- ¼ cup (31g) all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces (170g) high-quality semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ cup (60g) confectioners sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Ice cream, chocolate syrup, or raspberries for topping (optional)
- Take half of a 12-count muffin pan and spray with non-stick cooking spray and dust with cocoa powder or take four 6 ounce ramekins, spray them, and dust with cocoa powder.
- Preheat the oven to 218°C (425°F) to make chocolate cake no cocoa powder.
- Chop the chocolate coarsely. In a medium-sized heat-proof bowl, put butter and then add chopped chocolate on top.
- Microwave on high in 10-second increases; stir the mixture after each until it is fully smooth. Set it aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and salt. In another small bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolks together until combined. Pour the eggs and flour mixture into the bowl of chocolate.
- Stir everything together with a wooden or rubber spatula. The batter will be faintly thick.
- Spoon out chocolate batter equally into each prepared muffin cup or ramekin.
- Put ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 14 minutes until the sides become firm and solid and the top will appear soft. If baking in a muffin pan, the cakes will take only about 8-10 minutes.
- Let them cool for 1 minute, and then cover each with an inverted plate and turn over. The lava cake without chocolate must release easily from the ramekin recipes.
- If using a muffin pan, use a spoon to liberate the chocolate lava cake without chocolate from the pan and place each side down on plates.
- Top chocolate lava cake with desired toppings and serve immediately.
Microwave Lava Cake Recipe Without Cocoa Powder
If you want to make the chocolate lava cake in microwave, here is the recipe for you:
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the flour, sugar, chocolate chips, baking powder, and salt in a microwave-safe mug. Mix well with a fork.
- Pour the milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract into the mug. Mix until the lava cake batter is smooth and well combined.
- Microwave the mug on high for about 1 minute and 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Keep an eye on it, as microwave times may vary. The cake should rise and set but still be a bit gooey in the center.
- Let it cool for a minute, and then dig in with a spoon to enjoy the gooey lava center!
Troubleshooting Tips For Making Chocolate Cake Without Cocoa Powder
If you’re making chocolate lava cake without cocoa powder, you may be using chocolate bars or other forms of chocolate as the primary source of chocolate flavor.
Here are some troubleshooting tips to ensure your chocolate cake recipe without cocoa powder turns out delicious:
- Chocolate Quality: Choose good quality chocolate with at least 60-70% cocoa content. This will ensure a rich and flavorful result.
- Melting Technique: Melt the chocolate slowly using a double boiler or by microwaving in short intervals, stirring frequently. This prevents burning and maintains the chocolate’s smooth texture.
- Butter Balance: Ensure the right balance of butter. It adds moisture and richness to the lava cake. Too little can result in a dry texture, while too much can affect the cake’s structure.
- Egg Consideration: Eggs play a crucial role in the texture. Use room-temperature eggs, and don’t overbeat them. Incorporate them into the batter just until combined.
- Flour Mix: If you’re not using cocoa powder, ensure your flour is well-sifted to avoid lumps and achieve a smoother texture.
- Temperature Matters: Preheat your oven properly. A high temperature is usually crucial for lava cakes. But keep an eye on them, as baking times can vary.
- Testing For Doneness: The classic toothpick test might not work for the lava cake recipe with cocoa powder because you want the center to be slightly underdone. Instead, you can check the edges— they should be set, but the center should still be soft.
- Ramekin Preparation: Grease your ramekins well and dust them with flour to prevent sticking. This helps the cake release easily after baking.
- Resting Time: Let the batter rest in the ramekins for a few minutes before baking. This allows it to settle and can contribute to a better texture.
- Serve Immediately: Lava cakes are best enjoyed fresh out of the oven. Serve them immediately to savor the gooey, molten center.
Variations For Chocolate Lava Cake Without Cocoa Powder
Here are a few variations for a chocolate cake no cocoa:
1. White Chocolate Lava Cake
To make white chocolate lava cake, substitute white chocolate chips for the semisweet chocolate chips in the recipe.
You can also incorporate vanilla or almond extract into the batter for an extra layer of flavor.
2. Peanut Butter Lava Cake
For a peanut butter twist on lava cake with cocoa powder only, add 1/4 cup of peanut butter to the mixture.
Before baking, you can also top the cake with peanut butter chips or crushed peanuts.
3. Matcha Lava Cake
Matcha is a type of green tea powder with a slightly earthy and sweet flavor.
Add 1 tablespoon of matcha powder to the batter to make matcha lava cake. You can also top the cake with a matcha glaze after baking.
4. Red Velvet Lava Cake
Red velvet lava cake is a fun and festive variation on the classic dessert.
Add one tablespoon of red velvet food coloring and one teaspoon of white vinegar to the batter to make a red velvet lava cake.
You can also top the cake with a cream cheese frosting after baking.
5. Caramel Lava Cake
Caramel lava cake is a delicious and decadent dessert. Add 1/4 cup of caramel sauce to the mixture to make caramel lava cake.
After baking, you can also top the cake with a drizzle of caramel sauce.
6. Chocolate Lava Cake With Nutella
It is a popular chocolate hazelnut spread that you can use to make a delicious chocolate cake no cocoa powder.
To make a Nutella lava cake, substitute Nutella for the cocoa powder in your favorite lava cake recipe.
7. Chocolate Lava Cake With Melted Chocolate
If you don’t have Nutella, you can also use melted chocolate to make a chocolate lava cake without cocoa powder.
To do this, melt your favorite chocolate chips or chocolate bar in a double boiler or the microwave.
Once the chocolate is melted, add it to your lava cake batter instead of the cocoa powder.
Serving Suggestions For Lava Cake In A Mug Without Chocolate
Here are a few serving suggestions for a simple chocolate cake recipe without cocoa powder:
- Pair It With Ice Cream: This is the classic pairing for chocolate lava cake, and for good reason. The ice cream complements the hot, molten chocolate center perfectly. You can opt for any flavor of ice cream, but vanilla and chocolate are always popular choices.
- Drizzle It With Caramel Sauce: Caramel sauce is another delightful pairing for chocolate lava cake. The sweet and salty notes harmonize impeccably, creating a perfect flavor balance. You can buy pre-made caramel sauce or make your own at home.
- Serve It With Fresh Berries: Fresh berries add a touch of tartness and freshness to chocolate lava cake without chocolate. You can utilize any kind of berries you like, such as raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries.
- Dust It With Powdered Sugar: Powdered sugar gives chocolate lava cake a classic look and taste. You can dust the mug cake no cocoa with powdered sugar before serving.
- Top It With Whipped Cream: Whipped cream adds a touch of richness and creaminess to 3 ingredient mug cake without cocoa powder. You can make your own whipped cream or use store-bought whipped cream.
- Serve It With A Side Of Espresso Or Coffee: The caffeine in the espresso or coffee will help to cut through the richness of the chocolate lava cake.
- Top It With A Scoop Of Chocolate Sorbet: Chocolate sorbet is a lighter and more refreshing alternative to ice cream.
- Serve It With A Side Of Fresh Fruit Salad: This is a healthy and revitalizing way to enjoy chocolate lava cake.
- Drizzle It With Chocolate Ganache: Chocolate ganache is a rich and decadent topping that will take your chocolate lava cake to the next level.
- Serve It With A Side Of Chocolate Truffles: Chocolate truffles are a delectable and elegant way to finish a meal with an easy mug cake recipe without cocoa powder.
How To Store And Freeze Chocolate Lava Cake?
Follow these tips to ensure your lava cakes are still moist and gooey when you’re ready to enjoy them.
Storing Chocolate Lava Cake
If you want to store your chocolate lava cakes for a few days, you can keep them at room temperature.
Place them in an airtight container or wrap them with plastic wrap to inhibit them from drying out.
They will keep for up to 5 days at room temperature. If you need to store them for longer than five days, you can freeze them. There are two ways to do this:
To Freeze Unbaked Chocolate Lava Cake
Grease your ramekins and line them with parchment paper.
Pour the batter into the ramekins. Ensure to leave about 1/2 inch of space at the top.
Cover the ramekins using plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to bake, thaw the ramekins in the refrigerator overnight.
Then, bring them to room temperature for about 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to the recipe directions.
To Freeze Baked Chocolate Lava Cake
Let the baked chocolate lava cakes cool thoroughly.
Wrap the chocolava cakes individually in plastic wrap and foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to serve, thaw the cakes in the refrigerator overnight. Then, reheat them in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 10-12 minutes or until heated.
How To Choose The Right Chocolate For Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe Without Oven?
Chocolate lava cake is a lip-smacking dessert that will impress your guests. But the key to getting that perfect gooey center is using the right chocolate.
Here are a few tips on how to choose the right chocolate for your chocolate lava cake:
1. Consider The Cocoa Content
Chocolate lava cakes are typically made with dark chocolate, but you can use any type of chocolate you like.
Keep in mind that the higher the cocoa content, the more intense the flavor of chocolate will be.
If you’re not sure what cocoa content to choose, start with a semisweet chocolate with a cocoa content of around 50-60%.
2. Choose A Good Quality Chocolate
When it comes to mug cake without cocoa powder, it’s worth investing in good-quality chocolate.
This will ensure that your cakes have a rich, creamy flavor and a smooth texture.
Avoid using baking chocolate chips, as they contain stabilizers that can prevent the chocolate from melting properly.
3. Experiment With Different Types Of Chocolate
There are many kinds of dark chocolate available, each with its own unique flavor profile.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try experimenting with different types of chocolate to find the one you like best for your cake.
For example, you could use single-origin chocolate from a specific region or chocolate that’s flavored with spices or other ingredients.
4. Melt Quality
When choosing a chocolate for chocolate cake with no cocoa powder, it is vital to select a chocolate that melts well.
This will ensure that your cake has a smooth, gooey center. Look for a chocolate labeled as “meltable” or “baking chocolate.”
How To Make No Cocoa Powder Chocolate Cake Healthier?
Chocolate mug cake without cocoa powder is a delicious dessert, but it can also be quite unhealthy.
The traditional recipe is typically high in sugar, butter, and refined flour.
However, there are a few simple changes you can make to make chocolate lava cakes healthier without sacrificing taste or texture.
1. Use Whole-Wheat Flour Instead Of Refined Flour
Whole-wheat flour is a more nutritious choice than refined flour because it contains more fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
To make chocolate lava cakes with whole-wheat flour, substitute it for the all-purpose flour.
You may need to add more milk to the batter to achieve the desired consistency.
2. Use Coconut Oil Instead Of Butter
Coconut oil is a healthy replacement for butter because it is lower in saturated fat and contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are easily digested and converted into energy.
To use coconut oil in cocoa powder lava cake, melt it and substitute it for the butter in the recipe.
3. Reduce The Sugar
Lava cake for one with cocoa powder is typically quite sweet, but you can reduce the sugar content without sacrificing taste.
Consider using a natural sweetener, like maple syrup or honey, as an alternative to refined sugar.
You can also reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe by one-fourth to one-third.
4. Use Dark Chocolate
Dark chocolate is a healthy option than milk chocolate because it contains more flavonoids, which are antioxidants that have been linked to countless health benefits.
To make chocolate lava cakes with dark chocolate, substitute it for the milk chocolate in the recipe.
You may need to add a little more milk or sugar to the batter to balance out the bitterness of the dark chocolate.
5. Add Healthier Ingredients
You can also add healthier ingredients to your chocolate cake in a mug without cocoa powder to boost its nutritional value.
Add protein powder to the batter or nuts, seeds, or dried fruit. You can also top them with fresh fruit or yogurt instead of whipped cream or ice cream.
6. Serve With Healthier Sides
Another way to make mug cake without cocoa powder or chocolate healthier is to serve them with healthier sides.
Instead of serving them with ice cream or whipped cream, try serving them with fresh fruit or yogurt.
You could also serve them with a side of roasted vegetables or a whole-grain salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
1: Can I Use Vanilla Extract Instead Of Cocoa Powder?
No, you cannot use vanilla extract instead of cocoa powder. Vanilla extract is a flavoring agent, while cocoa powder is a dry ingredient that gives chocolate mug cake with no cocoa powder its rich chocolate flavor and fudgy texture.
2. Can I Use Coffee Instead Of Cocoa Powder?
Yes, you can use coffee in place of cocoa powder in chocolate lava cake. However, the coffee will give the cake a different flavor than cocoa powder. To balance the bitterness of the coffee, you may need to adjust other ingredients in the recipe.
3. Can I Use Hot Chocolate Mix Instead Of Cocoa Powder?
Yes, you can use hot chocolate mix instead of cocoa powder in chocolate lava cake no chocolate. However, be sure to use unsweetened hot chocolate mix, as sweetened hot chocolate mix will make the cake too sweet. You may also need to adjust the amount of sugar in the recipe accordingly.
4. Can I Use Flour Instead Of Cocoa Powder?
No, you cannot use flour instead of cocoa powder in German chocolate lava cake. Flour is a gluten-containing ingredient that will give the cake a tough texture. Cocoa powder is gluten-free and offers the cake its characteristic fudgy texture.
5. What Is The Best Substitute For Cocoa Powder?
Carob powder is the best substitute for cocoa powder in big choco lava cake. Carob powder has a similar flavor and texture to cocoa powder, but it is caffeine-free and lower in calories and fat.
6. What Should I Use Instead Of Cocoa Powder?
Other substitutes for cocoa powder in chocolate lava cake include melted chocolate, chocolate chips, chocolate spread (such as Nutella), instant coffee, and hot chocolate mix (unsweetened).
7. Will My Chocolate Lava Cake Still Be Molten If I Don’t Use Cocoa Powder?
Yes, your chocolate mug cake recipe without cocoa powder can still be molten if you don’t use cocoa powder. The key to making a molten chocolate lava cake is to use high-fat chocolate and to underbake the cake slightly.
8. How Do I Prevent My Chocolate Lava Cake From Sticking To The Ramekins?
To prevent your cake from sticking to the ramekins, grease them well with butter or cooking spray. Before adding the batter, you can also dust the ramekins with cocoa powder or flour.
9. How Do I Know When My Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe Is Done Baking?
To determine if your chocolava cake is wholly baked, insert a toothpick into the cake’s center. It is done if the toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. If it comes out clean, the cake is overbaked and will not have a molten center.
10. Why Would I Want To Make A Chocolate Lava Cake Without Cocoa Powder?
There are a few reasons why you might want to make a chocolate lava cake without cocoa powder. For example, you may have a food allergy to cocoa powder. Or, you may be looking for a healthier alternative to traditional 3 ingredient lava cake. Cocoa powder is relatively calorie-dense and contains some fat, while carob powder is lower in calories and fat and caffeine-free.