This super-rich, decadent, hot dark and moist chocolate cake with mousse filling and ganache is a chocoholic’s dream. Dark cocoa powder and unsweetened cocoa powder give this chocolate dessert intense and delicious flavor.
The chocolate mousse layer cake with ganache is topped with super creamy chocolate mousse and semi-sweet chocolate ganache. This chocolate mousse cake with ganache can be a perfect showstopper for your graduation, birthday, or dinner party.
Chocolate Cake With Mousse And Ganache Recipe
- 1 and ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extracts
- ¾ cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup full-fat sour cream
- ½ cup hot water (or coffee)
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder (optional)
- ½ cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 cup regular or mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Garnish optional: chocolate shavings or fresh berries
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream or heavy cream
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Two 4-ounce (113g each) semi-sweet chocolate bars, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or heavy cream
- Two 4-ounce semi-sweet chocolate bars, chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 177°C (350°F) to make chocolate mousse cake with ganache. Take four 8 or 9-inch cake pans, grease them and line with parchment paper, and then grease the parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and espresso powder (if using) to make chocolate mousse ganache cake and set aside.
- Mix the eggs, oil, and sour cream using a handheld or whisk on medium-high speed until combined. Then, add the vanilla and buttermilk and mix until combined.
- Transfer the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, add hot water, and beat on low speed until the batter is mixed thoroughly. Add chocolate chips if using.
- Divide the batter equally in 4 pans and bake for 19-23 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center to check; if the toothpick comes out clean, cakes are made.
- Take out the chocolate ganache mousse cake from the oven and put them on a wire rack. And let them cool entirely in the pan.
Preparation Of Chocolate Mousse
- As the cake cools, make the chocolate mousse. Mix the cocoa powder and hot water and set aside. In the microwave or double boiler, melt the chopped chocolate bars. Pour the hot water and cocoa mixture into the melted chocolate and mix until smooth and thick, and set aside.
- Whip the cream, vanilla extract, and confectioners ’ sugar on medium-high speed using a hand mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment for 3-4 minutes until medium peaks form. Fold in the chocolate mixture using a spoon and gently mix them.
- Cover the mousse and keep in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours and up to 2 days. Make about 4.5 cups of chocolate mousse.
- First, level the cake using a knife. Place 1 layer of cake on the serving plate or cake stand. Uniformly cover the top with 1.5 cups chocolate mousse using an icing spatula.
- Top with the second layer and spread chocolate mousse evenly on top, then put the 3rd layer of cake and cover the top with 1.5 cups chocolate mousse. Top with the final 4th layer of cake and spread the leftover chocolate mousse on the top surface, and also cover the sides as a crumb coat. Smooth the crumb coat by running a bench scraper around the cake. Keep cake in the refrigerator for 1-4 hours.
- In a medium heat-proof bowl, put chopped chocolate. In a small saucepan, heat the cream over medium heat until it starts to simmer. Pour the cream over the chocolate and allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes to soften the chocolate. Stir the chocolate slowly with a spoon or rubber spatula until chocolate has melted and became smooth. Once the ganache mixture is smooth, allow it to cool for 20 minutes before spreading it on the cake.
- Pour the ganache on the cake. Smooth the top and sides evenly with a chocolate mousse icing spatula. Top the surface with beloved garnish like chocolate or berries.
- Serve chilled chocolate cake with mousse filling and ganache and enjoy it, or it can be stored in the refrigerator for five days.